Monday, April 14, 2008

How to replace sway bar links on 95 Previa

How to replace sway bar links on a Toyota Previa Van (91 - 97)?

(The sway bay links are dogbone shaped metal pieces with ball joints at both ends)

Tools required for this job:

  • Car Jack (Standard that come with your car would work fine)
  • Jack Stands (You can buy these for under $40 at a local parts store)
  • HEX KEY Set
  • 14 mm wrench (double check the size on your van)
  • 15 mm socket
  • The handy-dandy WD-40
NOTE: The whole operation took me 3 hours and costed me $56 (new sway bars)+$3.99 (socket)+$35 (Jack stands) = $94.99. I saved $370.01 over the estimate given by the Toyota Dealer.

Challenges and recommendations before you start working on your car:


  • The biggest challenge was to remove the old sway bars due to rust (You can overcome this by using a penetrating oil on the nuts a day before)
  • Since I believe the old sway bars were the original, they were tightened using a compression tool and were really hard to unscrew even after I used the penetrating oil as well as WD-40. 

(Let's Began)

Jack and properly support the front of the vehicle on jack stands and make sure you put something (brick or a block of wood behind/front of the rear tires to make sure the van doesn't move during this opration.



Remove both front tires to access the sway-bars

Spray penetrating oil on all link nuts, using caution to avoid getting over-spray on brakes.




Remove both nuts from the link by holding the hex portion of the stud using a hex KEY, while removing the nut with a BOX KEY






Insert the new link and torque nuts to 30 ft-lbs. Repeat on other side if replacing both links



I hope this was helpful to you all
Thanks

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Mechanic. I am an IT professional with a can do attitude. I believe you can do anything if you put your heart in to it, but I have another reason for fixing my car(s) myself and that’s the high cost of repair from our beloved dealership or even a local workshops. Please don’t get me wrong I understand for certain type of repairs I will use my dealer or a local mechanic, but for things like these we all should be able to get the job done and save hundreds (E.g. my Toyota dealer gave me an estimate of $465.00 to replace the front sway bar links on my 95 Previa and a $503.00 just to clean not even replace the EGR valve to fix the “Check Engine light”. This ridicules price estimate was enough motivation/reason for me to do this work myself. So please consider these words before following my instructions and working on your car yourself.


1 comment:

Fuelstuff said...

Murad,

So glad you posted your blog about replacing the sway bar links on your previa. A few questions.

I have a 96 Previa DX AWD and I bought it without a sway bar. Crazy. So I have to install everything. Sway bar links, sway bar itself, bushings, etc. I noticed you paid $56 for the sway bar links. WHere did you buy them? Do you know if the links are universal for all years, makes, and models of previas? I looked online and you can get OE links for as cheap as $14 a piece. But I don't know if they will fit my year, make and model.

Also, did you happen to price out the sway bar itself? If so, where? I did a search online and they cost about $140 OEM new. Crazy.

FInally, I also have the EGR issue. How did you fix your EGR problem? WHat was the specific issue? My mechanic is quoting me $400 just to run tests, just to find out what the problem is. Let alone fixing the problem. I'm hoping its just a matter of seriously cleaning the EGR and everything connected to it with some carb cleaner. Cheers, Janis